Leclanché to Participate in Second Annual Virtual Island Summit Dedicated to Creating Sustainable Solutions with Digital Bridges
• CEO Anil Srivastava to speak as part of the Western Hemisphere Grand Opening Event
• e-Marine VP Dean Jennings to join panel discussing electrification of maritime vessels including an up-close look at the breakthrough Danish eFerry “Ellen”
YVERDON-LES-BAINS, Switzerland; DALLAS and Anderson, Indiana – August 25th, 2020 – For the second year, Leclanché SA (SIX: LECN), one of the world's leading energy storage companies, is announcing its active support and sponsorship of the Virtual Island Summit, being held September 7 - 13, 2020.
The second annual summit, being held entirely online (as was the first pre-pandemic event), will bring together speakers, attendees and experts from more than 100 island communities including the Arctic, Caribbean, Europe, Indian Ocean, Pacific Islands, South America and beyond. The event is free to all attendees and provides access to world-class experts in a variety of fields related to all 17 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in addition to other topics pertinent to island communities. This year’s zero carbon conference is expected to attract more than 10,000 registered guests.
Leclanché will participate in several event activities:
- Western Hemisphere Grand Opening Event, Tuesday, September 8, 11:30AM-1:30PM EDT – CEO Anil Srivastava will speak as part of a series of keynote addresses from island and business leaders. The session will include discussions on how islands are implementing the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals to meet the needs of future generations, the impact of the global pandemic and a look at how island communities are responding to a wide range of challenges.
The session moderator is Matthew McMillan, President, BuzzMaker.
- Dr. The Honorable Ralph Everard Gonsalves, Prime Minister, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- His Excellency Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali, President, Guyana
- Fekitamoeloa Katoa ‘Utoikamanu, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States, United Nations
- Anil Srivastava, CEO, Leclanché
Mr. Srivastava will also participate in the conference’s opening press conference scheduled for Tuesday, September 8 at 10AM EDT.
- Meet Ellen, the Future of Clean Maritime Transport, Wednesday, September 9, 10:00AM EDT – Islands have been stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding transit. On the one hand, they require vessels for transport and trading; on the other, boats and ferries running on diesel fuel pollute the air and water of the very islands they serve. Environmental concerns have finally gone mainstream. Industry and government have joined forces using carbon-reduced regulations and an expanding range of cleaner energy alternatives.
Meet Ellen, a 100% electric ferry powered by the world’s largest battery powered ferry engine and battery storage system. This vessel represents a breakthrough in clean maritime transport. Ellen was conceived as part of the Danish Natura project. Its purpose is to provide green transport for residents and was partially funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Program. A panel of industry and government experts will discuss the future of clean and quiet maritime transportation including a detailed look at Ellen and the innovations she brings to market and the implications to other forms of seagoing vessels.
The session will be moderated by Charlin Bodley, Sustainable Energy Project Development and Gender Expert, Caribbean Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (CCREEE).
- Dean Jennings, VP, e-Marine, Leclanché
- Halfdan Abrahamsen, Media & Information Manager, Renewable Energy, Ærø
- Sverre Eriksen, Senior Principal Engineer, Electrical Systems, DNV GL
“In 2020, sustainability is no longer an optional activity – it’s a vital imperative,” said Anil Srivastava, CEO, Leclanché. “We commend the Virtual Island Summit and founder James Ellsmoor for focusing on the needs of island communities and working diligently to educate and share knowledge globally to address our global island community’s many challenges. Leclanché is pleased to support the event and share our experience and expertise in renewable energy generation and storage and the electrification of transportation.”
“We started the Virtual Island Summit to encourage connections between seemingly far-flung islands that have a substantial amount in common but may be separated by vast distances. The benefits of a virtual event will extend far beyond lockdown,” said James Ellsmoor, Director, Island Innovation. “We are proud to have Leclanché as a key partner in this event as energy and transportation represent such a fundamental issue for islands around the world.”
As Executive Director of the Caribbean Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (CCREEE), Dr. Gary Jackson upholds the necessity of working together to accomplish renewable energy and energy efficiency targets and, the sustainable development goals (SDGs). He noted that “the Caribbean Community is mostly comprised of islands which are exposed to similar vulnerabilities, risks and hazards. It is therefore necessary for us to create and maintain spaces where knowledge sharing is possible, and the Virtual Island Summit is a part of meeting this need.”
Free registration for all events is now open at https://www.islandinnovation.co/summit/#register-now.
Headquartered in Switzerland, Leclanché SA is a leading provider of high-quality energy storage solutions designed to accelerate our progress towards a clean energy future. Leclanché’s history and heritage is rooted in over 100 years of battery and energy storage innovation and the Company is a trusted provider of energy storage solutions globally. This coupled with the Company’s culture of German engineering and Swiss precision and quality, continues to make Leclanché the partner of choice for both disruptors, established companies and governments who are pioneering positive changes in how energy is produced, distributed and consumed around the world. The energy transition is being driven primarily by changes in the management of our electricity networks and the electrification of transport, and these two end markets form the backbone of our strategy and business model. Leclanché is at the heart of the convergence of the electrification of transport and the changes in the distribution network. Leclanché is the only listed pure play energy storage company in the world, organised along three business units: stationary storage solutions, e-Transport solutions and specialty batteries systems. Leclanché is listed on the Swiss Stock Exchange (SIX: LECN).
SIX Swiss Exchange: ticker symbol LECN | ISIN CH 011 030 311 9
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements relating to Leclanché's business, which can be identified by terminology such as "strategic", "proposes", "to introduce", "will", "planned", "expected", "commitment", "expects", "set", "preparing", "plans", "estimates", "aims", "would", "potential", "awaiting", "estimated", "proposal", or similar expressions, or by expressed or implied discussions regarding the ramp up of Leclanché's production capacity, potential applications for existing products, or regarding potential future revenues from any such products, or potential future sales or earnings of Leclanché or any of its business units. You should not place undue reliance on these statements. Such forward-looking statements reflect the current views of Leclanché regarding future events, and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. There can be no guarantee that Leclanché's products will achieve any particular revenue levels. Nor can there be any guarantee that Leclanché, or any of the business units, will achieve any particular financial results.