XL Construction Corporation (www.xlconstruction.com), headquartered in Milpitas, Calif. and with offices in Oakland and Sacramento, is a purpose-driven, general contractor organization focused on building to improve lives.
The philosophy is deep rooted in everything the company does – from the projects it develops for its clients, the work it collaborates on with its design and trade partners, its employees and the communities the company operates in and serves.
XL Construction, together with its affiliated companies – Bradley Concrete, Elevated Construction Services and Arrow Rental & Supply – serves the northern California region. Core markets, managed by specialized teams, include advanced technology, corporate campuses and facilities, education, healthcare, life sciences and government. Key services and areas of sophisticated experience include construction technology; sustainability; mass timber and prefabricated buildings; in-house mechanical, engineering and plumbing (MEP) management; design-build; and integrated project delivery (IPD).
Safety is a critical part of the company’s DNA and baked into every aspect of the organization. The company manages a comprehensive safety program which meets or exceeds OSHA requirements. Its record of over 8.2 million manhours and 14 years of no lost time injuries with a low experience modifier rate (EMR) safety metric of .40 – well below the industry average – are proof points. XL Construction strives to be the safest commercial construction company in the business and seeks to improve upon its record every year.
In addition to creating jobs and investing in the growth of its employees, XL Construction provides financial support and an opportunity for its employees to participate indirectly or directly in building projects for charitable service providers in California. Over the years, the company has supported HomeFirst, Tiny Homes, Habitat for Humanity, Enchanted Hills Camp and the American Heart Association, among others.
- Founded in 1992 by Eric Raff and Dave Beck, the company is now celebrating its 30th anniversary
- Richard Walker, a nearly 30-year veteran of the construction and real estate industries, became the company’s CEO in January 2022.
- Approximately 689 employees including 331 crafts people
- Core markets include advanced technology, corporate offices, education, healthcare, life sciences and government
- Total commitment to safety- incurred no lost time injuries in more than 14 years
- Deep commitment to community involvement and philanthropy
Senior Management Team (biographies available upon request):
- Richard Walker, CEO
- Tom Humbert, CFO
- Dave Beck, EVP & Co-founder
- Eric Raff, Executive Chairman & Co-founder
The company’s clients represent a cross-section of the most notable companies/brands in America to equally important local civic, private and up and coming brands. For more information, visit the company’s online portfolio.
XL Construction is the recipient of more than 70 industry awards and recognition since 2011 including:
- 2022 California Regional Best Projects, Best Manufacturing – Biotech – Engineering News-Record (ENR) Calif.
- 2022 Design Award, Beauty of Wood category – The Lighthouse in South San Francisco - WoodWorks
- 2022 Long View Award for Achievement in Sustainable Design - Google 237 Moffet Park Drive - IIDA
- 2022 Award for Excellence - LifeMoves Mountain View – Urban Land Institute Americas
- 2021 Excellence in Sustainability Award and Safety Award of Merit - Google 237 Moffett Park Drive – ENR Calif.
- 2021 Green Building Award - Sustainable San Mateo and AIA San Mateo County
- 2020 Contractor of the Year- ENR Calif.
- Best Places to Work (2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2013 & 2012) - Silicon Valley/San Francisco Business Times
- 2020-2007 President’s Safety Award - Construction Employers’ Association
- 2020 Regional Best Project Health Care Award of Merit - El Camino Health Scrivner Center for Mental Health & Addiction Services - ENR Calif.
- 2020 Best of the Best Winner - Google Agri-Industrial Tech Campus - ENR Calif.